Expertise in Unilever
The journey from idea to branded product is only achieved with the collective expertise of our R&D professionals.
Key scientific skills
Our research scientists have world class knowledge in bioscience, structured materials and processing, advanced measurement and data modelling, consumer perception and behaviour, and nutrition & health. The development team includes experts in formulation, processing, nutrition, packaging, consumer insight, flavour and fragrance. Our skills and depth of understanding in all of these areas is continuously developed and shared globally.
The research and development organisation is supported by teams whose role is to accelerate, protect and differentiate breakthrough innovations and, as such, deliver competitive advantage.
There are six teams:
- The Safety and Environmental Assurance Centre leverages our expertise and external partnerships in safety and environmental sustainability to drive innovation competitiveness.
- Patents builds strategically-aligned exclusivity to protect our differentiated products for longer.
- IT Management delivers real-time quality data and applies information technology solutions to drive R&D excellence.
- Regulatory Affairs monitors and influences the development and implementation of rules and regulations to ensure full compliance.
- Clinicals provides proof of functionality for consumers, regulators and key opinion formers, and identifies new opportunities for products. Studies in which volunteers test our products for their efficacy are overseen by the Central Research Ethics Advisory Group.
- Open Innovation transforms growth and profitability by delivering faster through partnerships what we cannot deliver effectively alone.